Nirma University was established in the year 2003 as a statutory university under Gujarat State Act at the initiative of the Nirma Education & Research Foundation (NERF). The University is also recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) under section 2(f) of the UGC Act.
The Institute of Law is a constituent of Nirma University, a statutory university. Institute of Law has been set up in the year 2007 under the aegis of Nirma University with a vision to promote excellence in the field of Legal Education and to meet the ever increasing demand of new and innovative legal education.
• B.A., LL.B. (Hons.)
• B.Com., LL.B. (Hons.) (Proposed)
A candidate should have passed Higher Secondary/ Intermediate Examinations (10+2) or its equivalent examinations with not less than 50% marks in aggregate. Age of the candidate should not be more than 20 years on 1st July of the year of admission.
The prospective candidates are compulsorily required to take the Common Law Admission Test, CLAT. The prospective candidates are also required to fill in the application form of the Institute of Law, Nirma University in addition to the CLAT form.
- Credit based Semester System with Continuous Evaluation System
- Credit based nine Internship Programmes
- Theatre classrooms with Advanced Teaching Aids
- Intensive Moot Court Training and Facilitation
- Research Centers to inculcate inter-disciplinary research aptitude
- Well equipped Cyber Lab and Language Lab for the enhancement of communicative skills
- Legal Clinic for Societal Outreach and Clinical training
- Periodical Counselling given by the faculty members
- Efforts to impart comprehensive legal education and to achieve excellence
- The students’ performance is continuously assessed and monitored on a day-to-day basis and the improvements are suggested accordingly
Institute of Law has fully airconditioned Law Library with law books, hard bound Law Journals, Online Legal Databases. It has a collection of over 6100 volumes covering a wide range of general and special subjects consisting of text books, reference books, back volumes of journals and reports etc., apart from legal periodicals. Library is subscribing to 68 print and 1500 online journals. It is also subscribing to online databases like Westlaw, Manupatra, Taylor & Francis, Hein Online and INDLAW and has good collection of CD-ROM Database. The library resource center at Institute of Law is fully automated with user friendly library software Alice for windows. The package facilitates issue -return of books, a webbased catalogue to access the books (OPAC) and reservation of books. The web-based inquiry module of software has been installed so the resource collection can be viewed from outside the campus.
Moot Court is a thrust area of clinical education. Institute has a well defined moot policy for the participation in National and International Moot Court Competitions. Institute encourages and facilitates students to participate in various prestigious Moot Court Competitions. It has well equipped Moot Court Hall.
Clinical Legal Education
Legal Clinic has been set up with the following Objectives:
- To increase socio-legal awareness amongst the students and to expose them to the practical aspects of the Legal process.
- To enable the budding lawyers to contribute to National development on social change in a more constructive manner, multi-disciplinary approach towards legal education has been adopted.
Centers for Research and Excellence
The Institute of Law has started four centers of research and excellence, namely:
a. Center for Law and Governance
b. Center for Criminal Law and Justice
c. Center for Gender Justice
d. Center for Corporate Law Studies
The institute building has modern amenities, with enough space, and replenished with modernity and grandeur.
- Students’ Store
- Sports Grounds for Cricket, Volleyball and for indoor games such as table tennis, chess, carom, etc.
- Gymnasium with modern equipments
- Transport facility
The Director, Institute of Law Nirma University
Sarkhej- Gandhinagar Highway
Chharodi, Ahmedabad (Gujarat) 382481
Ph.: +91-2717-241900 to 04