National Law University, Delhi organized its first International Conference on Access to Legal Information & Research in Digital Age in association with SAARCLAW and Mohan Law House from 29th February to 2nd March, 2012. The Conference was inaugurated in the presence of Hon'ble Mr. Justice D.K. Jain, Judge Supreme Court of India Hon'ble Mr. Justice A.K. Sikri, Acting Chief Justice, Delhi High Court & Chancellor, NLU, Delhi, Prof. (Dr.) Ranbir Singh, Vice Chancellor, NLU, Delhi and Mr. Hemant Batra, Secretary General SAARCLAW. Six sessions were organized and discussed on the following themes:
- Legal Education & Research: Current Development in Digital Age
- Open Access Movement around the World
- Best Practices in Information & Knowledge Management in Libraries
- Electronic Legal Databases: Strength & Weakness
- IPR & Copyrights: Legal Issues Arising Out of Legal Databases
- Students' Responses to Contemporary Issues & Changes
A number of committees like Academic Committee, Advisory Committee and Organizing Committee had been constituted for the purpose of guiding and conducting the Conference. The Conference had forty invited speakers and two hundred fifty participants. The following recommendations were the outcomes during the deliberation of the technical sessions :
- The Conference recommended that the global access to information is essential for socio-economic development and for promoting the rule of law.
- The Conference recognized the Montreal Declaration and supported free access to law as a fundamental right for democratization of Information.
- The Conference considered the urgent need for globally accepted Copyright and IPR laws relating to database licensing issues.
- The Conference recommended the creation of networking among libraries and supported co-operation in sharing digital commons and promoting information exchange.
The Conference was concluded in the presence of Chief Guest, Hon'ble Justice Tshering Wangchuk, Judge Supreme Court of Bhutan. Prizes for Best Paper in the categories of Students and Faculty/Librarian along with best poster were awarded by the Hon'ble Judge at the valedictory session.