B.Com (Hons.) from Shriram College of Commerce, Delhi University and LL.B. from Campus Law Centre, Delhi University. Awarded Gold Medal for achieving 1 st position in LL.B. Holds the unique record of securing 1 st position in all the six semesters of LL.B. Also secured 1 st position in three years LL.M. Course and also got a medal for soecuring highest marks in Constitutional Law I & II. Won all possible prizes of LL.B. Was President of Campus Law Centre, Delhi University. Was also a member of Academic Council of Delhi University. During his schooling from 9th standard onwards till LL.M., he was given scholarships each year.
Enrolled as an Advocate in July, 1977 with Bar Council of Delhi. Practiced in Delhi and conducted cases of all types relating to Educational Institutions, Banks and Financial Institutions and various Private Sector Corporations with specialization in Labour Laws. Was Vice President of Delhi High Court Bar Association during 1994-95. Was member of the Governing Body of various colleges from time to time. Designated as Senior Advocate by Delhi High Court on 30 th September, 1997.
Appointed as Judge of High Court of Delhi w.e.f. 7 th July, 1999. Became the Acting Chief Justice of Delhi High Court w.e.f. 10-10-2011 and was elevated as the Chief Justice of Punjab and Haryana High Court w.e.f. 23-9-2012.
Has attended/chaired various National and International seminars and workshops and presented number of papers therein. His many articles are published in various magazines. As a Judge he dealt with all kinds of jurisdictions and delivered many landmark judgments.
Holds the following positions:-
- Member of General Body as well as Academic Council of National Judicial Academy.
- Chancellor of Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala.
- Patron-in-Chief of the Chandigarh Judicial Academy, Chandigarh.
- Appointed as Member of the Committee on Restatement of Law by the Hon'ble Chief Justice of India.
- Patron-in-Chief of State Legal Services Authorities Punjab, Haryana and U.T. Chandigarh.
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Nyay Deep, the official journal of National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- Secretary, International Law Association (India Branch).
- Member of the Governing Council of the Indian Law Institute.
- Member of prestigious institutions and clubs like India International Centre, India Habitat Centre, Delhi Golf Club and Delhi Gymkhana Club.